After an afternoon hooked up to an IV yesterday I went to bed at a reasonable time around 10pm.

Everyone was still out and wouldn’t return until later in the evening around 2am.

The air conditioning and coolness I had longed for just a mere 24 hours ago while I sweated away under a thin bed sheet was no more.

I now had a fever and the chills.   When I would get up to use the bathroom I’d return to bed shivering even though I had turned off the air conditioning and ceiling fan.

Yes, the room was hot but I was freezing.

I actually dug out my sweatpants and long sleeved shirt and bundled up under a blanket to keep me warm.

Crazy.   It was actually so hot in the room that when two girls finally did return (loudly of course) the first thing I heard them say was Oh my God, it’s like a sauna in here!

By the way, I was in a room full of inconsiderate trolls.   I mean, I get you want to go out and get drunk and all that – but how about some courtesy when you return back to the dorm room and at least try to be quiet.

Especially when you know there’s a sick person in one of the beds.

My favorite was one of the girls literally laughing out loud at something she was reading on her phone at 6 in the morning.

So, yeah, it wasn’t a great nights’ sleep.   By morning my fever had broken though and I was feeling much better.

At 10am I went downstairs and switched to a private room for my last day and night here.   Even though it was a whopping $30 I didn’t think twice about plopping down the extra $21 to cover it.

I was able to move to the new room right away so I went back upstairs, moved all my stuff and looked forward to a relaxing day and night by myself.

By now it was about 40 hours since I had eaten anything other than a plate of watermelon and half a hot dog and I was starting to get hungry.

I had no intentions of leaving the hostel so I just went downstairs to their restaurant and had some food.

I needed some substance and saw it in the form of chicken schnitzel with green beans and mashed potatoes.   I ate that and then a few hours later ordered a pizza sub as well.

Not quite classic Cambodian dishes but it was exactly what I needed in my body at the time.

The rest of the day was just me lying in bed watching downloaded movies and TV shows.

Before I knew it, it was 10pm and I was setting my alarm for just 6 hours later so I would be up in time for my 5am pickup to go see the sunrise and Angor Wat tomorrow morning.

Again, not an exciting day but that wasn’t the goal for today – it was to recuperate.

Asia Trip 2014, Trip Journal

Leave A Comment